Who Was Jenni Rivera?
Mexican American singer Jenni Rivera became famous for her albums, such as La Diva En Vivo. Rivera has released 15 platinum, 15 gold and five double platinum records. The singer later was a reality TV celebrity, businesswoman, and activist. Tragically, she was killed in an aeroplane crash at 43 on December 9 2012.
Childhood & Early Life
Dolores Janney Rivera Saavedra was born in Long Beach, California, on July 2 1969. She was the daughter of Rosa Saavedra, and her father, Pedro Rivera, took care of her and her siblings in a musical setting. Her parents exposed Rivera to the Banda music genre and Mexican musical styles.
She was pregnant at the age of 15 but was persuaded by her school teachers to keep up her studies, as they believed it to be a waste of her talents should she drop out. She then attended California State University to earn an MBA before working as a real estate agent. Sector.
- Jenni Rivera was singing at a young age. However, it was the 1992 Father’s Day when she made her first record, an ode to her father.
- Rivera was unable to make it into the men-dominated Mexican business of music. She confessed that one radio DJ in Los Angeles threw her music CD into the trash when she was present.
- She released her album, “Farewell Selena, ” which was an ode to the ‘Queen of Tejano music’ Selena Quintanilla-Perez, who was murdered in 1995.
- The singer was signed to Sony Music and released her major album debut on the label “Si Quieres Verme Lorar” and her follow-up studio album, ‘Reyna de Reynas”, Both in 1999. Unfortunately, the albums didn’t turn out to be commercially successful, which was a source of frustration for Rivera.
- She released her third studio album, “Que Me Entierren Con la Banda, ” in March 2000 by Fonovisa Records. It featured songs such as “Las Malandrinas” that paid tribute to her tireless female fans. It was also a massive success, and, finally, Rivera established herself within the industry.
- Her fourth studio album, “Dejate Amar,” as well as her fifth studio album “, Se las Voya Dar Otro’ were released that same year (2001), and both albums sold well.
- The studio album she released, “Parrandera Rebelde and Atrevida, the album came out in the year 2005 and made it to the top 10 of the Billboard Top Latin Albums chart. It was made double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). It featured the hit single ‘De Contrabando’, which reached the top spot on the Billboard charts of US Regional Mexican Songs.
- Rivera released her 9th studio album, “Mi Vida LOCA”, in 2007. It reached number one at the top of the Regional Mexican Albums chart and was awarded a Latin Billboard Music Award for Regional Mexican Album of the Year in 2008.
- Her biggest success occurred a year later, in 2008, when she debuted her 10th studio album “Jenni’. The album was a huge success and earned the singer a few awards, and it was the biggest of her commercial success also. It also earned her the second Lo Nuestro Award for Banda Artist of the Year.
- The album she recorded with her studio band “La Gran Senora” was launched in 2009 and reached No. 2 . on the Billboard Top Latin Albums chart in the United States. It was nominated for the Best Ranchero Album at the Latin Grammy awards.
- Rivera has appeared on several awards shows on television and hosted television shows such as Jenni Rivera Presents Chiquis & Raq-C and ‘El Show de Jenni Rivera, and “I Love Jenni”.
- Her debut was with the dramatic film ‘Filly brown, which Youssef Delara and Michael D. Olmos wrote. Rivera played the character “Maria Tenorio” in the film that won the Best Feature Film award at the 2013 Noor Iranian Film Festival.
- The film “Filly Brown” received a nomination from the 2012 Sundance Film Festival for the Grand Jury Prize. Unfortunately, the film was released shortly after the passing of Rivera, and at the 2013 American Latino Media Arts Awards 2013, a period of silence took place to honour her memory.
- Rivera did not just advocate for hardworking females in the community through her music but also advocated to protect women’s rights. Rivera was chosen as the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence spokeswoman in 2010. In the same year, the Los Angeles City Council officially declared August 6 to be “Jenni Rivera Day.
But, her time in the limelight ended after Rivera found out that her previous husband had abused her sisters and daughters. He escaped capture for nine years before being sentenced to 30 years of prison in 2006. Her second husband got 10 years in prison for dealing drugs and died in prison in 2009. Despite these tragic events, Rivera kept churning out hits albums and garnering Latin Grammy and Billboard nominations.
Is Rosa Saavedra Still Married?
One thing that Jenni’s fans are interested in is whether her mother has a husband. Rosa got married to Jenni’s father, Pedro Rivera, all the way back in 1963. However, Pedro, who was well-known on his own before the time Jenni became the Rivera name worldwide famous, was divorced from his wife in 2008.
The day is now; Pedro Rivera is married to Juana Ahumada, though he has kept their relationship hidden since they married in 2019.
According to different sources, Pedro owns an entertainment company valued at $4 million. However, there’s no confirmation that his ex-wife was paid any money after their divorce. According to some sources, claim that Rosa is nil-dollar net worth.
What did happen to Rosa Saavedra after her divorce, and where is she today?
Where Are Jenni Rivera’s Kids Now?
Five of Jenni’s children, the majority, have been visible through the years. Son Michael Marin Rivera is an artist, and the daughter Chiquis has been following in her mother’s footsteps, singing her mother’s songs in tribute to her mother and her music.
Her children are still close to each other, despite the speculation and gossip regarding their relationship and shared inheritance. In addition, they appear to be close to their mother, who is reportedly involved in the division of her estate.
What Happened To Rosa Saavedra?
However, it hasn’t been smooth for Rosa since Jenni’s death in the year 2012. In fact, in 2013, Mama’s Latinas reported that an unidentified pain caused Rosa Saavedra to see her doctor. She discovered that there were lumps in her vocal cords.
At the time, she did not know if it was cancer, but she hoped it was not. The news brought back memories of the day Jenni noticed lumps within her breast tissue just a year before her death.
In the end, reports indicate that Rosa was diagnosed with cancer, but she fully recovered.
In a tragic turn of events, the 43-year-old singer-songwriter passed away shortly after the incident on December 9 2012, after an Airplane crash. However, her music was her legacy, as the artist sold over 15 million copies on her major label albums. As a fitting tribute to her family, they allowed Latin radio stations broadcast her hit song “La Gran Senora” (The Great Lady) on the day of her funeral.